Synapse® VNA allows you to choose whether to store your non-DICOM data natively or, alternatively, to DICOM wrap the data. A majority of our customers elect to store their non-DICOM data in its native format. The advantages of doing so include:
Native File vs. DICOM Wrapping Benefits
1. The legal source of the image remains untouched, because the image comes from the source solution.
2. Wrapping data makes it unmanageable to return the object to its originating source in the original format.
3. Wrapping data also converts the original object into DICOM format and discards the private metadata tags that may be useful to the originating source.
4. Storing natively enables users to use enterprise viewers, including Synapse Mobility, without experiencing performance delays while unwrapping non-DICOM data.
5. Complexity is minimized for the originating source system. Communication with the source via API/web services/file management is performed using the methodology and file format of the originating source.